Balfour Beatty Rail (UK) is part of the wider Balfour Beatty Rail Group and over the years has made a number of key acquisitions in the development and evolution of Balfour Beatty Rail.
- Pre -1996: The UK’s largest private rail contractor - international focus
- 1996: Acquires three British Rail infrastructure units
- 2000: Acquires Adtranz Fixed Installations and Marta, Metroplex and ABC Naco in the USA
- 2001: Acquires railway electrification division ABB in Italy and Knox Kershaw in the USA
- 2004: Acquires ABB Gebäudetechnik in Germany, a low voltage power business and Bombardier Transportation’s UK SSI signalling resource
- 2005: Acquires SBB in Germany, specialist signalling contractor
- 2006: Acquires Edgar Allen Limited in UK, cast manganese trackwork company
- 2007: Acquires SAAB Signalling and Carillon Rail operations, Sweden and Denmark and Laser Rail in UK, market leader in structure measurements' systems. Also Alstom and Balfour Beatty Rail officially launched their newly formed 50/50 joint venture company Signalling Solutions Limited in the UK.
- 2008: Acquires Schreck-Mieves, leading German track company
In addition to acquisitions, Balfour Beatty Rail (UK) has seen a number of key integrations in becoming a more customer focussed, cost effective and efficient business:
- August 2009: Balfour Beatty Rail Projects, Services and Systems and Solutions become one rail business in the UK
- April 2010: Birse Rail, Birse Metro and Birse Rail Consultancy become part of the Balfour Beatty Rail business.