Embedded Rail & Innotrack
Balfour Beatty Rail has considerable experience of designing and installing many different slab track systems worldwide.
Projects include the Lantau Airport Railway in Hong Kong, the Oresund Tunnel between Sweden and Denmark, Line 4 of the Santiago Metro in Chile and the Gotthard Tunnel in Switzerland.
This experience led Balfour Beatty to develop a new low cost high performance embedded rail slab track system which responds to the following drivers for change:
- Lower whole life costs
- Very high availability
- Heavier axle loads and increasing speeds
- Higher annual gross tonnages
- Mixed freight and passenger traffic
- Low noise and vibration
- Minimizing inspection and maintenance costs
- High track quality retention
- Increased safety for passengers and staff
- Improved clearances especially in tunnels giving structural savings or increased capacity
Click here to find out more about Embedded Rail.
INNOTRACK is a Europe-wide initiative that brings together rail infrastructure managers and industry suppliers, to concentrate on the research issues that will contribute to the reduction of rail infrastructure Life Cycle Cost (LCC).
The EC White Paper on Sustainable Transport calls for rail operators to double passenger traffic and triple freight traffic by 2020 and reduce LCC by 30%. A tough challenge. The Embedded Rail System was selected as an excellent example to investigate and demonstrate that 30% cost saving is achievable without compromising performance.
Click here to find out more about Innotrack.